January 7, 2010

A new year. New beginnings. In a fit of resolution, I set about cleaning my office. It was slow going. In part, the delay was a very good thing. I enjoyed exploring my collection of books. Many reflect my long standing interest in the purposes for schools. I still remember, with astonishing acuity, the origin; on an October day in 1980 a struggling 7th grade boy, "Tony," demanded an explanation for why he had to go to school. My responses were weak and uncertain; as an individual who has always loved school, I had never seriously considered the possibility that school was not a good place for everyone. John Goodlad's answer, presented in 1979 in the book What Schools are For, was one of the first coherent explanations that I encountered. I sometimes ponder if I could do a better job of responding to Tony.

1 comment:

  1. By dividing up the party at several peoples houses you make it easy
    on yourself. I've played Nancy Drew for years and even her saccharine personality is more 3D than Lindsay or 'Linds') as she calls herself. Spice things up by including these Halloween-themes recipes:.

    My website - internet explorer 7

    ReplyDelete